Monday, June 28, 2010

Good bye Africa....

When leaving the hotel, I had a very heavy heart. I felt it all went too fast and I did not have the chance to integrate with local people as much as I wished. Even though I was still there, I was already missing it.

When the plane took off from the Kilimanjaro airport, the enormous Kilimanjaro was visible on my side of the window. Seeing that sight from the plane made me realise how high and enormous that mountain is and I couldn't believe I had climbed to the top of it! Its size was mind blowing. What a beautiful scene!

Kilimanjaro taken from the plane

Some Facts

Campsites
Day  1  ==>  Mkubwa   ==>   2,750 m
        2  ==>  Shira 1      ==>   3,500 m
        3  ==>  Shira 2      ==>   3,840 m
        4  ==>  Barranco   ==>   3,950 m
        5  ==>  Karanga    ==>   4,200 m
        6  ==>  Barafu       ==>   4,550 m
        7  ==>  Mweka     ==>   3,100 m


Distance (approximate figure. Below figure is from the itinerary. We did more than the itinerary.)
Total       =   98 km
Ascent    =   60 km
Descent  =   38 km


Distance & hours per day (distance figure is approximate)
Day  1  ==>  20 km   ==>    4 hrs
        2  ==>  18 km   ==>    6 hrs & 45 min
        3  ==>  13 km   ==>    6 hrs & 15 min
        4  ==>   15 km   ==>   7 hrs & 20 min
        5  ==>    7 km   ==>    4 hrs
        6  ==>  13 km   ==>    3 hrs & 15 min
        7  ==>  30 km   ==>   12 hrs & 35 min
        8  ==>  15 km   ==>    2 hrs


Swahili words that I learned and used to communicate with the porters...  :)
jumbo   (hi)
mambo   (hi)
poa   (reply to Jumbo/Mambo)
habari   (how are you?)
misouri   (fine, reply to habari)
twende   (let's go, we used it after each break)
kala   (brother)
dada   (sister)
ndio   (yes)
habana   (no)
tosimami   (please stop)
asante sana   (thank you)
karibu   (you're welcome)
kchiz comandizi   (cool like a crazy banana)
kchiz coma tango   (cool like a crazy cucumber)
ume choka?   (are you tired?)
sige choka.   (I'm not tired.)
sige eleva.   (I don't understand)
habari sobuhi   (good morning)
pole pole   (slowly)
sana   (a lot)
totananabadai   (see you later)
moye   (1)
mbili   (2)
tatoo   (3)
mne   (4)
tanoo   (5)
seta   (6)
saba   (7)
nane   (8)
tesa   (9)
kumi   (10)


Finally, looking back, it has been an extraordinary experience and I felt very lucky to have had the opportunity to experience it... Great group, great guides, great weather, I was not hit by altitude sickness and all of us got to the top... What else could I have asked for? The group members were easy going... I admired Ryan for having been to Himalayas and feeling very sick out there and still dared to attempt another high altitude... I admired Scot for his courage and for attempting Kilimanjaro at the age of 62. It was his first mountain climb and his first trip outside North America... And Eitan (Tony) was the fun of the group. He teased everyone in a funny way. At the end Wilibard asked him if he was a comedian in Canada! :) I was at ease with the group right from the first day as if I had known them from before.

And Africa! What a beautiful continent and what a beautiful people. Their smiles, the colourfull dresses of African women, the red dusty ground and the green fields.... and much more...

Good bye Africa.... I will miss you.... But I am sure I will visit you again one day........


4 comments:

  1. Khasteh nabashi.
    Thank you again for sharing this beautiful journey with us. Like reading a good book, I didn't want to get to the end and on the other hand I couldn't wait to get tho the next section.
    Amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanx poori for being my dedicated reader... :) and very happy that you enjoyed it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing , well done . speechless

    ReplyDelete
  4. merci... thanx for taking the interest and reading about my experience in Africa...

    ReplyDelete